Sunday, December 30, 2012

In June I was released as first counselor in the Relief Society.  I had a few weeks of joyful peace and rest before they double teamed me, literally.  The first and second counselors in the bishopbric called me in at the same time.  One asked me to be the ward chorister/choir director and the other asked me to be the Achievement day leader for the primary girls ages 8-12.  After serving for two years in the Relief Society I considered this to be a welcome change.

Luckily the choir always takes the summer off and since I was in the thick of preparations for Zak and Shay's wedding I told the Achievement Day girls we were taking July off as well.  The good thing is we only meet twice a month.  So it is pretty easy, and this age group of girls is pretty easy to please.  I have nine girls in the group right now.  But Karlee and her friend, Brilee, will be moving into Young Women's in the next couple months.  

For the sake of my dementia I am going to list the things we have done so far so I can remember and avoid duplication, or purposely use for duplication when I am desperate.  

Button bracelets, manicure/Pedicures,  homemade chocolate chip cookies and wrote letters to the missionaries, decorated sugar cookies for Halloween, made "Thankful" journals.



This is one of our most recent activities.  We decorated gingerbread houses.  I put them together ahead of time which saved a lot of headache.  I had each of the girls bring a couple of kinds of candy to share.   In the first five minutes I thought I had made a mistake, because everyone needs help at once.  But once they got going it was great!


We had more than enough.  The girls had a lot of fun and were all pleased with their outcomes.


Cozette

Gabriella, Layne's neice

Aspyn, our neighbor and cousin

Jaiden, she lives next door in our rental home

Sierra, this was her first time since she just turned eight.

Sofia, she comes from a family of eleven children

Brilee is Karlee's best friend


Ashley


We had so much candy left over that I bought a few more houses and Shay, Karlee, Grandma Terry and I did our own houses after Sunday dinner.  Grandma Terry had to leave before she finished and we took our pictures.


It is so fun to see how each person uses different candy to make each house unique.  And we had our first Christmas decorations of the season!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I've been Ward Choir Director for 3 years, I've really enjoyed it, I'll have to give you a list of some ideas I've done in the past. My favorite is doing a Pioneer Childrens Choir during the summer...the kids love it. I integrate some pioneer activities and treats for after the practices and it makes good memories.

    ReplyDelete