This year we went to Clyde for our first camping trip of the year. This is the same place that I came with Layne and his family when we were dating. That was a big turning point in our relationship. We went from seeing each other only on the weekends, to seeing each other pretty much every day. I knew after he had seen me with no makeup on and grimy from camping that if he still called he must be interested!
When we pulled into camp Daren and Vonell were already there. Vonell pointed out that we had a blowout on one of our trailer tires! It must have happened in the last half hour of the trip, because we had stopped and checked everything just before getting off on the dirt road. We didn't even know it had happened. Luckily we had a brand new spare tire and Layne and Daren had it changed in no time.
The campsite itself does't look like much. There are no pine trees like you might associate with camping. But it is right next to a creek and the kids just love playing in it. And we had the place to ourselves which is even better. We only had about two cars pass the whole weekend. This is why we chose to go the weekend after Memorial Day. We avoided the crowds, and the weather was beautiful. We had wind of course. But I think this is the only camping trip in our history that we haven't been rained or snowed on or both.
It got so warm that I had to scrounge out a hat from the cupboard of the trailer. It had seen better days and I think my family was a little embarrassed to be seen around me. But it kept the sun off my "lily white skin." And that is all that matters.
Even Crash had fun in the creek. Normally he hates the water. But the girls made these fishing poles and tied a stick on the end of the string. Crash could have spent hours going after that stick. Layne kept leading him into deeper water, so he got a good bath in the process.
This year we invited Layne's good friend, Troy Richards, and his family. He and his wife Nickie have a combined, his/hers/ours family of eight. Layne and I looked at each other and I asked if he would trade Troy's life for a nickle. He shook his head and said, "Nope, we have it pretty good!" It was fun to have them there and Karlee had fun playing with all of their girls.
With so many girls running around camp I figured it was a good time to get out all the leftover wood frames and paints I have been storing from past family reunions. They had a great time doing it and each girl made a couple of frames.
Zak wasn't able to come this time. He had to work on Friday. Then on Saturday one of his good friends from high school got married. So Tanner was glad the the Richardson's came along because their son Brett is one of his best friends. They were born on the same day. Brett's mom, Brenda, and Brandi were best friends and one of the couples set the other one up. I will have to refresh my memory on that one. Anyway, Brett has a motorbike too and made it a little more fun for Tanner to have him there.
I can't believe I didn't get a picture of Tanner and Brett together. I have to sneak to get them of Tanner and sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle.
Tanner spent a lot of time getting his bike ready for this trip. He disassembled and reassembled it about five times before he came trying to get everything just right. It still wasn't running quite right and then Daren and Kade told him to make one little adjustment on something and it ran perfectly. He also got a new tire and rim thanks to his dad's generosity. I guess his old one was in terrible shape. I wouldn't know.
All the other campers had to go home on Sunday afternoon because of work or other obligations. But we had made arrangements to stay and were determined to enjoy every last minute. Paige decided to stay with us which is always fun. She is a year older than Tanner and they get along really well. They hang out together so much that some of the kids at school ask if they are dating. Their response, "We're cousins! Gross!" Karlee was having a hard time clipping her toe nails so Paige helped her get the job done. We love all of Paige's hand-me-downs at our house. Unfortunately, it is getting to the point where we are going to have to start giving her Karlee's hand-me-downs. I don't think she will be that interested by the time Karlee is done with them.
Overall it was a great weekend, but it is always nice to come home to a warm shower and your own bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment