Saturday, August 7, 2010

An Early Payday

You often hear parents telling their children, "I can't wait until you get one of your own that is just like you." Well I didn't have to wait for Tanner to have his own kids to see him learn a lesson I have been trying to pound into him. I have to set up the history to get to the point, so just be patient.

We have had a four wheeler for several years. We got it so Karlee and I would have something to ride when we went camping since the boys always go riding on their dirt bikes and we would end up stuck at camp. Well, the boys just assumed ownership of the four wheeler and figured since it was just sitting there in the shop it should be fair game. Zak has taken it on several dates and to the sand dunes a few times. But Tanner would ride it every chance he got. It began to make me bitter because he already has his own bike but he would rather ride the four wheeler because it doesn't take as much gas as his bike. I would get frustrated every time he wanted to ride it because I told him that every time he rode it he was adding wear and tear to it and that we were either going to sell it and therefore need it to be in good condition or I was going to keep it forever and would like it to stay nice so it could last as long as possible. He would nod his head and wait a few days and then ask to ride it again. I would tell him he could ride it if he wanted to rent it from me and I could put the rental fee toward new tires and repairs. He would scoff at such a crazy idea. I wouldn't let him ride it for awhile and then I would give in and say yes. Then once I said yes he would ask to ride it every day. It just drove me crazy!

This spring, Tanner and our neighbor have started a business selling wood. Tanner asked if he could use our old Ford truck and chain saw. Layne told him that it wasn't really right for us to supply everything for his business and then not get any of the returns. So Layne came up with a trade. Last year when they traded up bikes, Tanner got Zak's old 220, but then he traded in his old bike and put some money with it to buy a different 500. He was planning on selling the 220 but it just hasn't happened. So Layne has decided he wants to 220 to put toward another 500 for himself. So he decided he would trade Tanner the 220 for the Ford Truck and the chainsaw. Funny how you give a kid something and then have to pay to get it back. Anyway, Tanner jumped at this and immediately began cleaning up the old truck. Even though he doesn't have his license yet he refers to it as "my truck."

So last week Zak's car was in the shop and he wanted to borrow Tanner's truck to go hang out with his friends. I came in on them having a heated argument and just had to smile. Tanner was telling him he would let him borrow it to go to work but not just to play with his friends. Zak told him he would put gas in it so what was the big deal. Tanner said, and this is the payday..."Every mile you put on it adds to the wear and tear and I have to make it last me through high school." Ahhhh, how sweet it is when they actually get it. I told Tanner, that those words sounded awfully familiar. He admitted that he gets it now and apologized for always asking to ride the four wheeler. It figures that he finally gets it now that we had to sell it to help pay some bills...
That's okay, it is worth it to get that satisfaction before he actually has his own kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment