Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Saw My Mom Today


This morning when I went to get my mom up I saw that her eyes were wet. I asked her if she had been crying. She said she had and then immediately began to get weepy again. I asked her what was wrong. She just shook her head. I asked her if she had a bad dream. She said no, and to just never mind her. I felt bad that I didn't know what to do to help her. And yet at the same time it was a glimpse of the mother I used to know who was so tender hearted and easily brought to tears. All morning she was so much more clear and present than she usually is. Normally after getting her dressed and having breakfast she is wiped out and takes a nap all morning until lunch. But today she was didn't seem at all tired. I gave her a copy of her journal that my sister, LarRene, had typed. She said, "Oh, yes this is what LarRene typed isn't it?" And then I think she read it, although she didn't ever turn the page. But at least she stayed awake trying to read it rather than sleeping the day away.

I feel so blessed to be able to help my mother on a daily basis and give back a little of all she has done for me throughout my life. And yet, some days I feel a little cheated that we can't really have a conversation. Or that most days she doesn't remember that I am married with three kids. But on those few occasions when she does say something witty or shows concern for the bruise I have on my arm, like the mother I grew up with did, I have learned to treasure those moments.

Some of the things she has said that make me smile:

While in the shower, "Well, I'm just as naked as a jay bird!"

In response to anything regarding diet or exercise "Oh poppycock!"

I used to think that she had a special nickname for me, but I have since learned that at one time or another she called all my sisters "Ladybug."
There are many more but of course my mind is blank...yikes I am turning into my mother already!








2 comments:

  1. Oh, I miss her so much. I can't imagine how much you miss her. She is such an amazing lady. My favorite thing she says to me is "hi pretty girl". She always made me feel so special. My friends Mom died yesterday in a freak accident and I have been teary all day just thinking about losing my Mother, I think I would have a nervous breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, it's amazing how the mind can be cloudy, but sometimes those clouds part and you get a peek inside. Thanks for taking such good care of Grandma!

    ReplyDelete