Monday, November 2, 2009

Jack & Jill...ran in the road...Bad trick no treat





What a bad week for the animals. Saturday just before we left for trunk or treat my mother-in-law, Verla, came in the house shaking her head and telling me to come outside. I thought, "No way?" Yes, as they were coming back from town they saw our dog, Jack, dead in the road. It has only been four days since Jill got hit in the exact same place. I have decided that he was so lonely for her that he committed suicide so he could be with her.
Once again I called on Zak to pick up the pieces. He hadn't had a chance to bury Jill yet, so I guess fittingly they were buried together. I'm sure glad he was home to deal with this. I would have had to call on my father-in-law, Laren, to do it otherwise. I just don't do dead animals. I remember when I was about 12 my dog, Buffy, followed me on my bike to Kelly's,the local convenience store. I had to cross Sunnyside, a fairly busy street to get there. As I was coming home I heard the screech of tires and looked back and saw Buffy dead on the road. I couldn't deal with it. So I just rode home bawling all the way and my mom and to go back and pick him up.

I waited to tell Karlee until after trunk or treat. When I told her she gave me this look of unbelief and told me to quit joking. I told her that I would never joke about this. When we got home she ran to her room to change. I followed her to make sure she was okay. The door was locked and she was sobbing, saying to herself, "They were always there to play with me when I came home from school." What a heartbreak! After she came out I hugged her and let her cry it out for a few more minutes. Then she decided that Jack missed Jill and he knew his way to heaven. By the next day she was begging for a new dog. I asked her how she could be so cruel to want to put another dog through that, since we have now had three dogs and one cat killed on that road. I'm sure Layne will give in eventually. But I have made him promise we won't do it until we get a fence.

Even though I never gave these dogs as much attention as they deserved I have to admit they were pretty good dogs. I was their favorite because I am the one that fed them every morning. They would dance around my legs hoping for some attention. I would tell Jack to get down and he would roll over on his back and expect me to rub his belly with my foot. If I stopped he would jump up on me again until I got back to work. Layne's parents loved these dogs too. The dogs always seemed to know when they were outside and would run over to visit them. Jack would sit up on the bench with Laren and just keep him company. Jack would never miss an opportunity to go somewhere. If we went out on the four wheeler he was on the back in a flash. He even rode on the back of the motorbikes sometimes. I think he was part kangaroo, because he could jump up into the truck with the tailgate up. Jack and Jill were quite a pair and will be missed at the Terry house.

No comments:

Post a Comment