Friday, October 30, 2009

A Real Nail Biter

South Fremont made it to the State Football playoffs this year and got to play in the Holt arena for the first time in school history. They have had a great season, losing only to Snake River and Shelley. Most of their other games have all been blowouts. Their first game and first loss was to Snake River. So all season they have been chomping at the bit to redeem themselves. They ended up playing Snake River for the opening game of the playoffs.

Layne and Tanner were still in Salmon hunting. So I was there with Frank, Jeannette, Tera, Brendon and Tenlee. Brandi was also there but it was such a big crowd that we never saw her.
Layne called me from North Fork right at the opening kick off. I had to leave the stadium since it was so loud. Within a minute I heard a big cheer and went back in to see that we had already scored. What a way to start the game! The first half was just phenomenal. It was a totally different game than when we played them the first time. I think Snake River was a little surprised. I think they figured since they beat us once that this game would be a cake walk too.

At half time the score was 31-14 in our favor. And we almost got another touchdown in the last second of the half, but they brought us down at the one yard line. I would have felt much better to have had that extra cushion. It would have saved me a lot of anxiety in the second half, because we didn't score at all in the second half. They got two more touchdowns and had possession again in the last 1:30 of the game. They were only three points down. I was just sick to think we might lose it after doing so well in the first half. Snake River kept making first downs and were down to the 20 yard line. There were only 9 seconds left on the clock when the quarterback went to throw a pass and one of our boys sacked him. I was so busy screaming about the sack that I didn't realize that the clock had run out and we had won the game!




Jeannette and I were screaming and hugging each other. We were all so proud of them. My favorite part after they win a game is when the team gets together in front of the student body and sings the school song. Pretty amazing for a bunch of boys you probably couldn't pay to sing otherwise. It always chokes me up.



It is a good thing they won because now Layne and Tanner will be able to see them play next week. We will play the winner of the Buhl/Weiser game. Buhl is favored to win so that is probably where we will be next week. GO COUGARS!!




No comments:

Post a Comment