Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Terry Reunion/Father's Day











This year for Father’s day weekend the Terry’s got together and went to Kilgore for a camp out. We are calling it a reunion. We will see if we can keep it going. Everyone was impressed and amazed that Grandma Terry came and actually spent the night. Grandpa Terry had to work. But in the past they have never camped out. We invited her to stay in our trailer and so that made it a little more feasible than camping out in a tent.

Kade and Leisa and Paige were there. Val and Nora and all of their kids except for Mikal and Aubrey also came. Daren and Vonell had driven back to Michigan to see their new grandson, Justin. But Clayton had to stay and work, so he came with us. We also invited our friends, Todd and Mindy Peterson, and their kids. Every family had at least one dog and most had two. So we had quite a dog pound going on around there.

We have had a record month of rain in June and we sure got our share this weekend. But we didn’t let that stop the fun. There were lots of motorbikes and four wheelers and everyone got their fill of riding. There were also lots of little brook trout caught and cooked over the fire. The little girls had fun picking wild flowers and doing a craft project for Father’s day

Saturday night was one for the record books. It poured and poured rain. It is quite different listening to it come down on a metal trailer roof. I tried to enjoy it, but after awhile it was like, “enough is enough!” After we had only been asleep for an hour or so, Layne’s mom, Verla, woke up coughing and needing to throw up. She had a surgery that wrapped her stomach around her esophagus, so she can’t throw up. So I jumped out of bed and was trying to find the light. I was still half out of it and couldn’t find anything. Luckily she made it to the sink. That really got my adrenaline going. I felt bad she was so sick. Then we let our wiener dog, Jill, stay in the camper because it was raining so hard and she gets cold so easily. She started whining and wanted to go out. But we heard the big dogs that were outside growling and barking at something and the night before there were signs that a bull elk had been in camp. So we didn’t want to let her out. I finally broke the cardinal rule of “not letting the baby in the bed.” After a while I put her back on the floor. Before long I smelled the real reason she was whining to go out. Uggghhh!! So I had to get up and clean that mess and of course had to step in some of it to find it all. Needless to say it was not the greatest night of sleep. The things we do to create memories for our children!

One good and bad thing about camping is all the good food we get to eat. We always cook dinners together. The first night we had our traditional dutch oven chicken and potatoes with carrots and onions. The next night we tried something new. We put pork roasts in the dutch ovens around noon and let them cook all day long. Then we had barbecue pulled pork sandwiches that night. They were delicious. Then later that night Mindy helped us make banana boats in the campfire. Yummmm!!!

Even though it was Father’s Day weekend, Layne worked like a dog. He did all the dutch oven cooking and helped me make a big breakfast on Saturday morning. We make a good team. The kids are lucky to have such a great dad who makes sure they have lots of opportunities for fun. And I’m lucky to have a husband who loves me and his kids so much.

1 comment:

  1. Disgusting.... that must be true love! I would have wanted to feed the dog to the mountain lion's if I stepped in anything that it had been fed earlier!!!

    ReplyDelete