Friday, May 4, 2012

Tanner's 17th Birthday

On April 24th, Tanner turned 17!  It was funny the day before I asked him if he was planning on dinner with the family.  He normally doesn't grace us with his presence for dinner so he kind of gave me a funny look and said, "What for?"  I said, "Your birthday?!?"  Then he said, "Well, at my age birthday's just aren't that big of a deal anymore."  Really...so are you 17 or 47?  Funny how he had been dropping birthday gift hints and pre-spending his birthday budget for the last few months.  So birthdays must still mean something.

He did of course agree to dinner with the family and chose to go to Costa Vida.  I think after being sung to at Gringo's last year he thought better of that choice.  



He got a few new shirts and we are all waiting anxiously for the first stains to appear.  




He also got a new helmet.  Brandi gave him new biking boots, but he had them packed away before I was able to get a picture.  




Zak gave him a Fox baseball hat and tie down straps for his bike.  Having Zak work at RMS has definitely come in handy for his employee discount!




Tanner tore his dirt bike down to the frame and repainted the frame and cleaned everything and replaced a lot of what I am sure are very important parts, but they don't mean anything to me so I can't be specific.  We helped pay for part of the rebuild as part of his birthday gift as well.  Tanner has really become a great mechanic and it is something he really loves.  He helped the neighbor with his bike and has done a lot of stuff on Zak's bike as well.  



Zak's girlfriend, Shaylee, got Tanner this ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.  She must have been reading his mind, because when I asked what kind of cake he wanted, that was his request.  I hadn't bought one yet, when Zak called to tell me Shaylee had got him one.  So bonus points for Shaylee!!


We took about five pictures of this.  Tanner would always look away just as Layne took the picture. So even though his eyes are closed at least we got a good smile out of him.  You can tell how cheap I am with the candles.  I used the a single tall candle and then the 7 from Grandma Terry's 70th birthday cake.  


Karlee probably won the prize for the best gift of the evening.  She gave him a coupon book of services she would do for him like, clean his car, do his bathroom chores, let him have the couch to himself.  And on most of them she put boxes to indicate she would do each three times!   Grandma Terry came in a close second with cold hard cash, which is the best gift for a dirt poor teenager!


Happy Birthday TanMan!  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment