Friday, November 11, 2011

A Pain in my Crash!

Since our yard isn't completely fenced in, we have been using a wireless shock collar to keep our dog, Crash, within the boundaries of our yard. It seemed to work great for the first year. But lately it has been shocking him randomly well within the boundary. I think he started getting used to the shock, so he began leaving the yard regularly. In the good old days, the dogs could just roam the town. But now a days, if your dog kills the neighbors chickens or rabbits, they tend to call the police and you get an outrageous ticket. So we have had him on a chain which he hates, and he ends up killing the grass of the twenty foot radius where he is confined.


So we gave in and spent even more money on this damn dog, to get an underground fence. I know I don't mask my disdain for this very well. We had to bury wire around the entire perimeter of our property.
Three out of the four sides, weren't too bad. On the back and west side we went behind the fence on our neighbors property (shhh) and the dirt was pretty easy to dig. On the front we just pulled up the black mat that is under the rocks and tucked the wire under neath it.
But on the west side we had to dig into the sod. Layne got about half of it done and I came behind him tucking in the wire. We ran out of daylight and he had a side job he had to do the next day. I got off work early to go to the doctor with Tanner. So I finished it up.
It was only about fifty feet, but it took me several hours because I just kept hitting rocks under the sod. I had to jump on the shovel with all my weight and it still would only break the surface. Needless to say I let Layne know that I figured out why he left the rest of it for me. He made jumping on the shovel look easy. But now I can see why his bad ankle was hurting by the time he was done.

I can testify however, that if you ever need a good ab workout, just go jump on a shovel for a couple of hours. Who knew? I have been sore for a week. Just rolling over in bed kills me! The whole time I was cursing the dog and praying that after all this hard work that the fence would actually work and keep him contained. Otherwise I was going to have to use that shovel for another purpose...

Luckily for Crash it seems to be doing the job. He has stayed in the boundary and for now is able to keep his happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment