Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Zak's Farwell



On August 21st we had Zak's mission farewell, even though we don't call it that anymore. It turned out to be quite a memorable day. After the sacrament was done being passed the lights flickered a few times and then popped and the power went out. Zak pumped his fist and said, "Yes!" He thought he was going to get out of having to speak. But no chance. They opened the doors to let some light in and President Bruce Crapo who was visiting stood up and told Zak to project his voice since there was no sound system. The chapel and gym were filled to capacity. When the Bishop got up to say we would continue with the program as planned we could hardly hear him. I thought this was going to be a mess. But when Zak got up and started to talk I could have sworn they had found a portable microphone. It really sounded to me like his voice was coming through the speaker. I had several people tell me they thought the same thing. It kind of faded toward the end of his talk. But I thought that it was a tender mercy that I was able to hear his talk.

Layne got up when the power went out to see what he could do to help. I didn't see where he went after that and was worried that he wasn't hearing Zak's talk. But he had gone up and sat on the stand because he was not going to miss one word of the talk. Tanner had been in the back of the gym and he and Zak's friend, Brycen both came up and sat on the front row so they wouldn't miss anything either.

Zak spoke on the good example of Jesus Christ and how Zak has had many good examples of Christlike attributes in his own life. Zak paid a special tribute to Layne for being a good example of being a worthy priesthood holder and how he held the family together during hard times in their lives. Layne said later that he had never heard that from his kids before and it was nice to be acknowledged in that way.

Zak also thanked me for being a good influence in his life and for help making it possible for him to be where he is today. I was blown away and felt so lucky to hear that from him.

Zak also told Tanner that he expected him to be ready to serve a mission when Zak got home, and told Karlee what a good girl she is and how much he loves both of them.

Afterwards we came back to the house for dinner. I had heavenly potatoes and ham prepared. Luckily I had started them early and had them on high enough that they were still warm. We served at least 100 people. We had such great support from all sides of our family. I was very proud of myself for maintaining my sanity. I had everything set up and ready to go and it just went very smoothly. Everyone was anxious to help and I couldn't have been more pleased at how it all turned out. The power didn't come back on until 4:00 that afternoon. It always amazed me at how quickly the party gets torn down with so many willing and helping hands.

I am very grateful to my sister-in-law, Leisa, for taking pictures because it was the last thing on my mind.

We set up the food table in the front entry and it seemed like it flowed through pretty quickly.

We had all the desserts on the bar. There were so many great salads and desserts that everyone brought.


Zak and his friends, McKenzie, Alexis, Nickell, and Bryten

Two great-grandpa's in attendance, Grandpa Park and Grandpa Wilding


I really appreciate my sister, Karleen, for getting my Mom and Dad there. Even though they couldn't really hear Zak it was neat that they put for the effort to be there. It wouldn't have happened without her.

Kade, Daren and Val all helped get the chairs and tables put away when the party was over.

Grandma Merlene and Grandpa Elmer Park

Grandma Jeannette, Maci, and Grandpa Frank Wilding

Van & Tanner

Shane, Sara, Cody, Rylin & McKay





Zak, Brycen & Ashley
The Rose aunts and uncles...Veda Mae, Doye, Linell, Marcy.

Grandma Verla, Val and Nora

Bill, Layne and Troy

Paige, Ashley, Brycen, Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment