Friday, August 26, 2011

Romrell Reunion 2011

We had our annual Romrell Family Reunion this year on August 6th at Heise Hot Springs. I had wanted to get family pictures done for my own family since Zak would be leaving on his mission, and the idea just kind of exploded. I asked Nancy Jackson's sister, Jenn, to come spend the day with us taking pictures. It really could have been a nightmare. But I was very pleased with how well it went.

It started out kind of rocky, since my family went first. They always give me a hard time about having their pictures taken and so I avoided telling them about it until the last minute. This didn't end up being the right approach. Tanner and Zak were both wearing hats and wanted them to take them off. I made Tanner take his off because it didn't match and that made him even more mad than having to take the picture at all. So we didn't have warm fuzzy feelings going on for our final family picture. And it shows. Oh well, lesson learned. I should have the pictures next week and will post them then.

But after our family was done I was amazed with how smoothly everything went. We had over 22 individual family pictures done and each of my siblings had a couples shot done. Then we did a Romrell siblings picture, and then one with all the spouses. Finally we took a picture of the 100 people in attendance. I couldn't believe it would have even been possible. But thanks to Sara taking charge and getting everyone in place it went pretty quickly.


I was really grateful to my sisters for stepping in and helping with Mom and Dad. Jan especially got extra credit this weekend. She and her daughter, Taryn, got Mom and Dad ready and there on time. (Here is my plagiarism disclaimer...thanks to Rachel for some of these pictures I stole from her blog!)



Dad had his scooter to get around a little bit easier. He really enjoyed the large spread of desserts!



My only regret is not taking more time to just sit and visit. I would see Layne cleaning up and I would feel guilty and have to get up and help.


We have such an amazing family. Everyone was so helpful and supportive. I keep telling them that as long as they keep coming, we will keep throwing the party.



Eileen, Calvin, Maynard, Dale & Alex. I had to be covert to get this shot!



We had so many amazing salads (from the nephews) and desserts (from the nieces.) I don't think the main dish was even necessary!


For lunch we had sandwiches, fruit salad and my famous chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately the cookies were gone by dinner time. So some people didn't get any. I need to remember to either make two batches, or save them for dinner next year.


Since every Romrell party must have a theme, I unofficially entitled it "Picture This!" After the big family picture was done I gave a "2 1/2 minute talk" about why I feel pictures and family reunions are important. Here is what I said:


First of all I want to thank everyone for being here and for putting up with the trauma of getting this picture taken. You are all good sports. I don’t know why I have such an obsession with pictures. It goes back to the Ammon house when we started the frames of each family’s children. I just feel that each person in this family is so important and I want each one of you to be recognized individually as well as collectively as a part of this great family. I think it is important for future generations to see what a great heritage they come from, and to recognize themselves in us. I, like the rest of you, never knew Grandma Ruby Romrell. But I look at her picture and I see myself in her. And I want to know her. I want you all to look around at this great family that you are a part of. It is hard to believe with this many people we still have so many people missing from the picture.

This year’s family calendar features Romrell family pictures through the years. You may have noticed that there are a few that I am not in. I don’t feel bad about that because that is just part of our family history. Just like today is part of our history. And we have documented who is here today. I think we all realize that there will never be a time in this earthly life that we will ever have a complete Romrell Family picture. It would just be impossible. We have missionaries gone, families in Germany, Ohio, California, and many other states. And that is okay. There is a time and place for everything and there will only be one time and one place when we will possibly be able to have a complete family picture and I promise I won’t ask for another one until then. That will be in the eternities. And I want each of you to ask yourself, “Will I be in that picture?” And I know that I pray and Grandma and Grandpa pray that you will do everything you need to in this life to make it possible to be there. Because even though I tried to be low key and not freak out about having everyone here for this picture, I will have a come-apart if your are not in that final picture.

I really searched church doctrine and hoped to find something that commanded us to have regular family pictures. But I didn’t have any luck. I did find something about the importance of family reunions though.

I just want to close with some thoughts from Alma Heaton in an article written in the Ensign in 1975. He said, "Family Reunions are in a way extensions of family home evening. They are an opportunity to gather our larger, eternal families together to learn to understand and love one another and to unite ourselves in the work of the Lord. In a sense when the family prepares and holds family reunions they are also preparing for eternity.

It was our Father in Heaven who first gathered us together in a great family reunion. Certainly we must have discussed our future, our leaders, and many other aspects of our life ahead. If our future families are to be together for eternity, why not start now to establish firm, loving, and powerful relationships in our own patriarchal orders through family reunions?”

No comments:

Post a Comment