Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Random thoughts by Valeen Terry

I was reminded recently of the Saturday Night Live skit "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy." I miss those days. I can't honestly say I could repeat a single one. But I remember some did just make you go, "hmmm" and others had you rolling on the floor. I miss having a good laugh like that.

Anyway, this post is a mix of random thoughts, nothing really deep just some going's on in our lives. I have found that owning a home is fun and challenging. It is fun to work to keep things looking nice. It is also very challenging at times to do that. My most recent frustration has been our back yard, especially after this past HARD WINTER! We have a lot of dead spots where the snow piled up and it just looks awful! I have always been frustrated with the grass right around the back of the house because it just wouldn't grow. So lots of ugly patches. Here is an example.

So since I am planning on having the get together after Zak's farewell in our back yard I have used that as an excuse to get it taken care of. My first intention was that we would do it ourselves a little at a time But our neighbor had his brother doing some landscaping and we were so impressed that we decided to have him come and do ours as well. I am counting this as my birthday gift and will pay the rest with my "blood money." So I have allowed myself to not feel guilty about paying to have it done. Plus the landscaper payed Tanner to help him. So it kept him busy for a couple of days as well as put some money in his pocket. Since our money would have ended up there anyway, it was nice to see him do a little work for it.


We already had the fire pit. But it was sunken in all around it and this really classed it up and gave it a finished look. The kids have already roasted marshmallows, but I am ashamed to say I haven't sat around it yet. I must get that on my agenda!




Tanner hauled in a lot of rock and the sod that they cut out around the fire pit he relayed in some of the dead spots. So it looks so much better. Now we just need to get some lattice put up around the bottom of the deck to hid the ugliness under there.




This is my idea of a flower garden. No weeds!




I love the flag stone coming off the deck steps. As you can see some of the grass is still somewhat challenged. And you can see how badly the deck needs to be stained. That is a must to be done before the farewell!



Our garden is coming along quite nicely. I had no idea what a farmer my husband is. He checks it daily and tills between the rows regularly. So I am quite pleased with how it is coming so far.



I can't say I am as pleased with our tomato plants. They are looking a little sickly. I will be shocked and amazed if we actually harvest any tomatoes this year.



This week I have been doing some pruning for my dad. This winter was hard on his yard as well. The county snow plow ran over one of his juniper bushes and so those had to be cleaned up. And the sagebrush on the corner finally gave up the ghost. YEAH!!! I personally don't get having sage brush in your landscaping. But my dad loves it. So I was excited to pull this one out and haul it off.


I can't believe that huge sagebrush was in this tiny space! Unfortunately there was another sagebrush hiding underneath it that hadn't died. So I guess I will have to leave it there for my dad's sake.




So those are my random thoughts for now. I am sure there will be more to come.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I LOVED deep thoughts! I can't remember the last time I heard one, but they were my favorite part of SNL. Just don't tell Mom and Dad I used to watch!

    ReplyDelete