Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Romrell Reunion

We had another successful Romrell Reunion on August 7th. We cut it back to just one day and spent it at Heise. A lot of this post is just going to be bookkeeping so I can refer back to it for planning in the future. There were 95 people in attendance. We served sandwiches from The Sandwich Tree. I ordered two 7' and one 4'. We only had about 18" left. So that worked out pretty well. But next year I will order more of it with no lettuce and tomatoes. I learned that there are more picky people than I realized. I made a fruit salad using 1 large watermelon, three large cantaloupes, three pineapple and one each large bunch of green and black grapes. This made three big bowls that seemed to last through lunch. We served lunch at about 1:00 p.m. then the afternoon was spent visiting and playing in the pool.

At 6:00 p.m. we served pulled pork sandwiches. I really over estimated on this. I got 13 pans from Sam's club and we only ate half of it. So next year 7-8 pans should be plenty. I had the nieces bring green salads and the nephews bring potato or pasta salads. Then each of the siblings brought a dessert. Calvin is always popular by bringing coolers full of ice cream treats. We ate those for lunch before they melted.

After dinner I gave a report on "Romrell by the numbers". Our total number by the end of the year will be 175. By the end of the year we will have had 9 babies born this year, bringing the total great-grandchildren to 70! My theme was "One thing I know for sure." I told them that one thing Layne knows for sure is that when the Romrell's have a party there has to be a theme...and tears. Heath added that there has to be a testimony meeting too. This all got a laugh, because we all know how true it is. It is all my mom's fault. We can't help ourselves. I asked anyone who wanted to share their "one thing." Only five or six people got to share before a big wind storm came up and quickly brought the party to an end. But the basic consensus was that we all know that we have a pretty great family.

I didn't even get any pictures this year. Shame on me. Everyone was chastising me for not delegating. So I guess I will have to put that on my list to make someone else the photographer.

Karlee was a big help by helping me get all the table cloths taped on and making sure they stayed taped down throughout the night. I told her it wouldn't be too long before she would be the one in charge of the parties.

I am always amazed at how many people come and feel lucky to belong to such a supportive family.

2 comments:

  1. you did a great job. Thanks for planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great and I appreciate all the effort that you put into it. I loved the fruit salad, and it served so many people, the kids just love it. I loved the location of the table, tons of shade.

    ReplyDelete