The last few years we have decided to go camping the weekend after Memorial Day in order to avoid the crowds and to hopefully get better weather. This year we went to Sawmill which is about an hour north of Howe. It was really beautiful. The creeks were raging with the winter run off. We got there Thursday night and got camp set up. Friday was mostly overcast and rainy. But the boys still got a short ride in and we all went on a hike.
Saturday was beautiful! The sun was shining and we all went on a ride. Karlee and I were on the four wheeler. We got to watch the boys do some hill climbing, which is basically going as fast as they can up a steep mountain and then coasting back down. When Karlee saw this her immediate reaction is, "We aren't going up there are we?" I told her we were and she screamed, "No! I don't want to." I have such fun torturing her.
The boys wanted to be able to make a loop around the mountain. But the snow was still too deep at the top. So we had to turn around and come back. But it was a great ride and we all came back with sunburned faces.
That night it rained, and it rained, and it rained. The boys took another hike the next morning. After lunch they checked on their tent and realized that the water had come in through the bottom of the tent. Not wanting to sleep in wet bags, they decided to pack up and go home. Layne and I decided to stay for the night since we had the warm and dry camper to sleep in. Again it rained all night long. It was a good thing the kids went home or they probably would have been washed down the creek.
As soon as the kids left, Layne was missing them. They can drive him crazy at times, but as soon as they are gone he wishes they were still there with him. We kind of looked at each other like, "What do we do now?" We ended up taking a drive up the canyon and saw a lot of wildlife like a 6 point buck elk, a moose, deer and antelope. When we got back to the trailer we played some dominoes and then I read to Layne from the conference issue of the Ensign. I ended up bawling my eyes out when I read a talk that was given during the priesthood session about how missionary calls are given. It is really starting to hit home how soon it will be Zak's time to go.
Monday morning we woke up to more rain and decided to head home. We spent the rest of the day emptying the trailer and cleaning up. It's a good thing we came home early because the clean up is an exhausting process. But it was good to have a break from the routine of work and all of our other activities and to enjoy the beautiful world that we have around us.
I'm really getting frustrated that I can't get any of my pictures to upload! GRRRRRR!
No comments:
Post a Comment