Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day


Layne has really spoiled me this year. I would have considered the jewelry and the new shelves in my garage enough to count for Mother's Day. But he said those didn't count. So he got me this cute little wagon to display in our rock garden. I got this wheel a few weeks earlier at an auction that I attended. I went there to get a bed for Zak, which I was able to get for only $65. But when the wheel came up I couldn't resist and won the bid for $13. What great deals!

Tanner got me a $20 gift card to Wal-Mart which I thought was very thoughtful for a kid who has so many things he would like and needs to have for himself. Karlee gave me some service coupons. I redeemed the "clean my room" one right away. Zak helped Layne build the shelves in the garage and I that will be a gift that keeps on giving for many years. I really love the space!

I wanted to also take this chance to show my appreciation for all the mother's in my life. Of course I have to start with my own dear mother. I could write a novel about all of the wonderful things she has done in her life. She has been an example to me in so many ways. But she is currently showing me how to be gracious even when you find yourself in less than ideal circumstances. I'm sure she never imagined she would be in the position to require so much help. But I was thinking the other day as I watched her sleep in her chair, "Good for you Mom." I can't imagine how many years she lived on a few hours of sleep in order to support her husband and her children in all of their activities. I think she is just now finally catching up.

Layne's mom, Verla, has been an amazing blessing in our lives. First of all she raised an amazing son who is thoughtful and kind. Second and even better, she taught him how to clean house and to appreciate a clean house you have to participate in making that happen. She was also a lifesaver during Layne's divorce. She helped so much with the kids, especially Karlee. She continues to be an invaluable asset today as she is often called on to chauffeur Karlee to the orthodontist or to take forgotten homework to school since my job takes me too far to be available.

Layne's mother-in-law, Jeannette, has become my second mother-in-law. She has made me one of her own and shown so much love and support for me and our family. She is an amazing example of going the extra mile to serve in so many different capacities. She is like the energizer bunny. She volunteers her time to the Cancer Society, Jr. Miss and Rodeo Queen activities just to name a few. I don't know how she does it all!
Jeannette's step-mom, Merlene, is another mother/wife to emulate. She and her husband, Elmer, both lost their spouses. But rather than letting life come to an end, they have come together and found endless ways to serve and give to everyone around them. They served a mission together, and are the ward food storage specialists. Last summer they helped the community do 23,000 cans of food storage from their garage. They have both been so kind to me and make me feel like I am a better person than I am.

My kids are very blessed to have so many grandparents in their lives. They have three sets of grandparents and they have known four great-grandparents. I never even knew any of my grandparents so I am glad they have this opportunity to know and learn from some great people.

My sister, LarRene, has been like a second mother to me. She is twenty-one years older than I am, and I was raised along with her kids. She has always included me in everything she does for her kids. She is always there to listen to me vent about my current frustration, without judgement.

The final mother I need to acknowledge is my kids mother, Brandi. Even though she has made some poor choices in life, she did choose to have three great kids. And without her and the choices she made I wouldn't have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment