Sunday, February 23, 2014

Fall Fun

It has been two years since Layne's dad died and his mom starting going through some of his things and is ready to let some of them go.  So Layne and his brother's, Val & Daren, went through his guns and tools and each got to take something.  Layne got this 6mm rifle.  He was very pleased to get it and he and the boys will always treasure having this from Grandpa Terry.


It has been two years since Zak last stained the deck and it is really starting to show.  So for some reason I took on the challenge.  I really hate painting but for some reason I couldn't con Zak into doing it again.  We used a new kind of stain that is much thicker like paint and so it is supposed to last longer.  It better, because I don't ever want to do it again!  So I made sure to follow all the instructions and washed the deck and then used a stripper to get the old stain off.



I was pretty pleased with the finished product.  The deck itself wasn't too hard.  But I did have to invest in some knee pads because I had to get down and paint in between the boards.  The worst part was the spindles.  They take forever because you have to paint all four sides.





I had to do it over several days and in the end I finally recruited Layne and Karlee to help me finish it up.  Now it better last longer than two years or I will be ticked!


While I was at it, I re-stained our bridge and porch swing.  I still need to take the "after" pictures.  But they turned out great.  I really felt like I had accomplished a lot by the time I was done.  But once again, I will be very glad not to ever do it again...


1 comment:

  1. I sure hope that it last a few years for you! Sadly-I don't think it will last forever!! We actually had to COMPLETELY replace our back deck this last summer. It had totally rotted out! We decided to actually put a covered roof on it so it became quite a project! We are praying that ours does last forever.

    One thing that our builder recommended is to seal the underside every year! not sure you could do that!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete