On March 27th we left for Arizona. That evening around 6:00 p.m. my dad fell down in the living room and hit his head. He cut the back of his head pretty badly and was bleeding a lot. He tried calling several of us but no one answered. He finally called 911 and the ambulance came. They were able to get a hold of Van and he called Calvin to meet Dad at the E.R. They had to put ten staples in. They wanted to cut his jump suit off, but my dad refused to let them do it. It was soaked in blood and there was a spot of blood about six inches in diameter on the carpet where he fell. Head wounds bleed a lot! After they did the cat scan the doctor was scared that he had a broken neck. But then the radiologist said, "Those are just old man bones."
After about three hours in the E.R. he was able to go home. My siblings spent the weekend taking care of him around the clock. I am so lucky to have such a good family that steps up whenever there is a need. My sister, Janine, came up from Spanish Fork and stayed until the day before I came home.
It is a good thing my dad is so hard headed. It certainly could have been worse... His balance is getting so bad lately. There have been several times I have caught his full body weight. But there is no way someone can be there to catch him every time. It is pretty scary.
A couple of months ago we got this body lift to help with moving my mom. It is not the most convenient to use, and I am about the only one who uses it. But it does make it a little easier when I am getting her dressed. Before I had to try and stand her up while she held onto a bar next to the toilet. I would have to pull her pants up as quickly as I could because she can't stand for very long.
My mom is such a good sport. I know it isn't very fun to be in this contraption. I have been in it when I was showing my sister how to use it. It goes under the arms and kind of sucks in around the ribs pretty tightly. My mom never complains, but once in a while when she is in the lift she will say, "I think my arm is going to break off." Sometimes if I don't get it under her arms just right she will fall out of it. It scared me to death the first time it happened. I was freaking out and telling her I was sorry. She just looked up at me and said, "I'm okay." Since then I have learned to quickly switch the shower chair out and the wheelchair under her before I pull her pants up. Then if she slips out she at least falls into the chair.
Yes, that is Dr. Phil watching me in the back ground. I imagine he is giving me advice on how to cope while being a care taker to aged parents. In actuality I think I watch him because when I see the people on his show who's lives are a wreck it makes me realize that my life isn't so bad after all.






No comments:
Post a Comment