Thursday, October 6, 2011

Marci's Bachelorette Weekend

When I moved home from Salt Lake City fifteen years ago I knew I had to make a conscious decision to become involved in the singles program or I would end up only hanging out with my family because I enjoy them so much. So I did that and ended up forming so wonderful friendships that have lasted to this day. There are four girls that I have remained close friends with. Even after the singles ward disbanded we have continued to go out to dinner once a month and still celebrate birthdays and Christmas by exchanging gifts.

When I got married four years ago it never even crossed my mind that this tradition would change. We had started going on a week long vacation during the summer. Two of the girls our school teachers, so this makes it very convenient for them. Our first trip was the day after I met Layne and we went to Yosemite National Park. I wasn't able to continue joining them on the week long trips. They have gone to San Diego, Mount Rushmore and Las Vegas without me. But I still join them for an over-nighter to Salt Lake or somewhere else fun now and then.

Our latest trip was to celebrate Marci's upcoming marriage. We decided to spend the night in Jackson Hole, WY and have our version of a bachelorette party. Shannon and Shaunie are always willing to do the scouting on fun activities and find the hotel. Jackson was sold out for the weekend we were there. But they were lucky enough to find an apartment that a motel manager normally stays in that was vacant. So we were able to have a three bedroom apartment for about the same as renting two hotel rooms.

Shaunie and Shannon prepared the entertainment for the evening. Marci was pretty nervous at what they had up their sleeves. When we got to the apartment they realized there wasn't a DVD player and this was going to be an integral part of the entertainment. So we all got in the car and went to Kmart and chipped in to buy a DVD player. It turns out Shaunie's was broken and needed a new one so it wasn't a totally frivolous purchase. It was also her birthday that week so we all justified that as an acceptable expense.

By the time we got back to the room I think we were all a little bit anxious about what we had ahead of us. But since Shaunie is the Relief Society president in her ward we weren't too worried. We all burst out laughing when the DVD came on and it said, "Flirty Fitness- Dance Instructions for a seductive dance to keep your man excited and you in shape." So here we are, five women over the age of forty with a chair in front of each one of us trying to kick our leg over it and look sexy. We were laughing until we were sick. I didn't get any pictures of it. But Shannon got a few that I am sure will be used for blackmail at some point in our lives.

The next day we walked around Jackson Hole square. They were having a street fest. Then we drove to Grand Teton resort and rode the Tram to the top of the mountain.


Here is Shannon demonstrating some of the moves we learned from the video!

It was a perfect day. The sun was shining, no wind, it was just beautiful. The trees were just starting to turn yellow with a few patches of red here and there. This is on the way up.

Shannon, Marci, Shaunie and Lisa at the top of the mountain. What an amazing 360 degree view we had up there. There were some fires that made it a little hazy but still breathtaking.

This is a view with one of the peaks of the Tetons far in the background.

I think this sign says it all...we felt like we were on top of the world.

The ride took about 15 minutes each way. It was really smooth except when the tram went over a couple of towers it would really rock the car and kind of make your stomach go up in your throat. But it was really cool.

This is the view of a new golf course and housing development that is being built.

Each trip we go on we like to have a matching memento that we take home to remember the trip by. Lisa got us these wrist bands that were very appropriate for the occasion.

We are trying to show off our wristbands, but it looks more like we are pledge allegiance.



No comments:

Post a Comment