Ever since I have been married I have put my foot down saying that "I am not a canner." I remember canning peaches with my mom when I was a kid. And we had shelves and shelves of canned home canned goods when I was growing up. But for some reason I just didn't want to put one more thing on my long list of things to do. So I was determined not to let this be added. But Daren and Vonell sent some beets home with Layne and I didn't know what else to do with them. Leisa had just finished canning some pickled beets and walked me through the process. It didn't seem to be too tough and since I didn't have to pressure cook them, I figured I would give it a shot. So here is evidence of my great canning day. Six pints, (one is open in the fridge) of pickled beets. Layne and Tanner and I love them. Zak and Karlee feel the same way about them as they do cabbage casserole, "sick!" So I am giving myself a gold star for trying something new and maybe, just maybe opening the door a crack to future canning possibilities. But don't tell my husband. This will be our little secret since he never reads this blog anyway. Wednesday, October 20, 2010
The Reluctant Homemaker?
Ever since I have been married I have put my foot down saying that "I am not a canner." I remember canning peaches with my mom when I was a kid. And we had shelves and shelves of canned home canned goods when I was growing up. But for some reason I just didn't want to put one more thing on my long list of things to do. So I was determined not to let this be added. But Daren and Vonell sent some beets home with Layne and I didn't know what else to do with them. Leisa had just finished canning some pickled beets and walked me through the process. It didn't seem to be too tough and since I didn't have to pressure cook them, I figured I would give it a shot. So here is evidence of my great canning day. Six pints, (one is open in the fridge) of pickled beets. Layne and Tanner and I love them. Zak and Karlee feel the same way about them as they do cabbage casserole, "sick!" So I am giving myself a gold star for trying something new and maybe, just maybe opening the door a crack to future canning possibilities. But don't tell my husband. This will be our little secret since he never reads this blog anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment