The "old lady" has still got it!
Mitch, Easton, Savanna, Cooper & Karlee on the watermat
Tanner & Zak at peace on the tube before their ride of terror with Mom driving
One of the many yummy meals!
Zak, Karlee and Layne listening to one of the devotionals
Steve, Tanner, Bo, Layne & Van enjoying the good food and friends
The Terry Title of Liberty - "How can I be like Him"
We got there Friday afternoon and just set up camp and hung out together. That night Shane and Tanner went fishing but their only lucky catch was a square ice cream cone from Swan Valley. The next day most of the boys went dirt biking. The rest of us stayed and played on the lake. Karlee tried getting up on the kids skis but didn't quite make it, maybe next time. I got up on my first try after not going out at all last year. So mark this down for posterity that at age 42 the old lady has still got it. The boys got back in time to take a ride on the tube. It was just a beautiful day. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and no wind to speak of, which in Idaho is a modern day miracle.
The only frustrating part of the trip was the fact that we took our dogs. They are required to be on a leash in the campground. This drove Bo crazy! He would wine and whimper and bark whenever he was tied up. We will not do that again.
Each family was in charge of one meal which really makes in nice to be able to relax for the rest of the trip. After each meal the family in charge shared a short devotional. I was really impressed with the high caliber of messages that were shared and the fact that with the 10 grandchildren all age eight and under, they were really quite respectful and reverent during these devotionals.
I just want to give a synopsis of each one because I want to remember the things that were taught because they were all very relevant to what we should all be striving to do.
LarRene talked about looking to the lighthouse of the Lord. She shared how proud she was of her family and how they have made such good choices. LarRene is such a good Grandma. It is fun to watch her interact with the kids. The babies especially love her and she is a very close second to be able to calm them down if their mom isn't around She had all the boys in the family sing "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy"
Van told how there is a radio host who when asked how he is doing responds, "Better than I deserve" and that his own life reminds him of the song from the "Sound of Music" that says, "somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good." He feels like the way his family has turned out is a blessing to him and LarRene and he is very proud of them.
Sara & Shane focused on the story of Moroni and the Title of Liberty and how important it is especially in this day and age as the world is becoming more corrupt to be strong in our convictions and to have a solid foundation in our beliefs and morals.
Rachel and Reid's family talked about prophets and asked some of us about the prophets of our youth and what we remembered and learned from them. She encouraged us to all continue to follow the prophet.
Steve and Angie's family talked about service and being kind. They had everyone share one act of service that had performed in the past week.
Leah and Tony's thought was "When life gets too hard to stand, kneel."
Ruth and Kent's family talked about how important it is to not only make sure we return to our Heavenly Father but that our family returns as well. Kent shared the following quote from Robert D. Hales that I really liked.
"While our individual salvation is based on our individual obedience, it is equally important that we understand that we are each an important and integral part of a family and the highest blessings can be received only within an eternal family. When families are functioning as designed by God, the relationships found therein are the most valued of mortality. The plan of the Father is that family love and companionship will continue into the eternities. Being one in a family carries a great responsibility of caring, loving, lifting, and strengthening each member of the family so that all can righteously endure to the end in mortality and dwell together throughout eternity. It is not enough just to save ourselves. It is equally important that parents, brothers, and sisters are saved in our families. If we return home alone to our Heavenly Father, we will be asked, "Where is the rest of the family?" This is why we teach that families are forever. The eternal nature of and individual becomes the eternal nature of the family."
Our family talked about who should be our heroes. I asked each of the kids their favorite Disney star. Then I talked about how some of them have made bad choices and they aren't always people we want to emulate and grow up to be like. But the heroes from the Book of Mormon are people that we can always look up to and strive to be like them. Then I shared the words to the song "How Can I Be." Zak found this on YouTube and it has become a family favorite. Here is the link if you would like to hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_ibxy270Q
How can I be like my brother Nephi?
and my father Lehi of old?
How can I be like Captain Moroni
In the wars that were told?
How can I see forever
Like the promise to the three Nephites?
I wanna be Samuel the Lamanite
I wanna be Benjamin the Wise
I wanna be like Abinidi
Oh tell me how can I be like them?
How can I be like Alma the Younger,
Strong servant of the Lord?
How can I be like Mighty Ammon,
Whose heart was his sword?
How can I be a stripling warrior,
And learn to fight by faith?
I wanna be Samuel the Lamanite
I wanna be Benjamin the Wise
I wanna be like Abinidi
Oh tell me how can I be like them?
How can I be like my brother Joseph,
When he prayed in the grove of trees?
How can I have the strength that he had
And the love he had for God?
How can I be courageous
And strive to choose the right?
I wanna be Samuel the Lamanite
I wanna be Benjamin the Wise
I wanna be like Abinidi
I wanna be like Jesus Christ
Oh tell me how can I be like Him?
Oh tell me how can I be like Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment